Thursday, April 2, 2009

Virtual Reality

I found a job! And I was hired!

The job market stinks so I accepted a job as a virtual assistant. Yes, I researched everything first and no, I wasn't required to give out banking information. I had no reason to suspect anything was amiss. I agreed to an exclusive signing with their agency in exchange for a signing bonus along with their standard equipment bonus. I signed the papers and had my check in hand on March 31st.

Yesterday I headed out to get the equipment I needed, but first I had to deposit the check. The check was drawn on B of A, where I also have an account, so I didn't think there would be any problems. The teller let me know that there would be no hold placed on the check and funds would be available immediately.

I left and headed off to shop! While shopping I got a call from the bank manager informing me 'the bank is unable to negotiate the check at this time', which didn't mean anything to me until she continued. The check is fraudulent. For a minute I thought it was an April Fool's joke. But no, the joke was on me. I was stunned momentarily and left the cart where it stood and walked outside. Took a breath and drove home.

I took a job as a virtual assistant. I just didn't know it came with a virtual paycheck. The contract requires that I provide notice and agree to an exit interview should I decide to terminate my association. I think I virtually resigned when the virtual paycheck was virtually gone. They can virtually sue me.


Scotty said only I could make $5000 and lose it in the same day. Yep, it could only happen to me and it virtually does.

1 comment:

Butterfly Landing said...

I'm virtually surprised the bank called you. Bad news usually arrives three days later in the mail, at least with school parents' bad field trip checks. Glad for you that you had a real phone call -- but still wish you were writing a late April Fool's joke...