Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bailout Shmailout

Everyone is talking about bailouts. Some folks agree with them, some don't. And everyone seems to want their piece of the bailout pie. For the most part I don't think the government should keep handing out money to anyone who has screwed up as royally as the banks and car manufacturers. I'm not interested in pointing fingers or placing blame, but if I screwed up my bank account like AIG has screwed up theirs, no one in their right mind would bail me out and someone would absolutely take the checkbook away.

Some folks are afraid that if the government doesn't step in and the Big 3 fail, the domino effect will thrust the nation into another depression. I can understand why that scares people. It scares me. I don't pretend to have answers or really know enough to believe that we are on the road to recovery. I think every story is different and everyone will react based on how they are personally affected.

But, if President Obama is interested, there is another alternative. It's called the Real Bailout and it was forwarded to me in an e-mail chain so I can't take credit for thinking it up. Okay, here we go:

Offer approximately 4 million workers over the age of 50 $1 million each to retire immediately, with 2 severance stipulations.

First, upon their retirement each retiree will be required to purchase one new American made automobile. With orders for 4 million cars the auto industry will recover and can begin to create more economical and fuel-efficient vehicles.

Second, each retiree will be required to pay off their existing mortgage or purchase a new home (for cash). This will rejuvenate both the housing and lending markets. Banks will have the time to reorganize, re-prioritize, re-budget, and repay their bailout money.

Finally, by offering the retirement bailout approximately 4 million jobs will be created. That's a bonus win that will create economic residuals.

I'm sure there are at least a thousand little details that someone can nitpick about, but it really can be that basic. I'd vote for it and not just because my husband is one of those 4 million 50+ employees.

So, when can we expect those checks?

No comments: