Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Losing Belle

On February 4, 2009 I got a call that rocked my world. Little did I know how profoundly I would be affected or for how long.

Belle is/was my teacup Maltese. I got her in September 2007 and it was love at first sight. Although she is purebred she was deeply discounted in price - she was 4 months old when I brought her home and she fit in one hand. She immediately claimed me as her person and I was enamored of her. She has a travel bag and a few cute clothes and I loved to take her with me whenever I left the house. Unfortunately that didn't include work.

When Scott called me and told me she was missing I went ballistic. My rage was directed at the neighbors who owned the renegade dog that chased her. It was a vain attempt not to flame my husband for his part in the ordeal.

It's been exactly 10 weeks today. I still look for her, I still miss her and I absolutely want her back. I have spent money on ads and flyers and posters. I have gone door-to-door and reached for the obscure. Part of me knows that it's unlikely I'll ever see her again, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to let go. Even now the tears threaten. I am her person and perhaps, against all odds, I hope that it is enough to keep her connected and bring her home.

She's a dog and yet she's so much more. At least to me. If I could only figure out how to convey that to whomever has her, it might be enough to get her back. For now I pray for her return and I pray for the pain to ease. I know which one I want more.

No comments: