Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Catching Up

Boy, I have no idea where the time went. I just started working a part time job last week and I feel like I have no time to get anything done. This makes no sense to me. While working full time it seems like I managed to get so much more done, including this blog. But for some reason working 10A to 3P three days a week leaves me with no time. I'm sure there are other things I'm missing, but I can't quite figure this out. When I do you can count on regular updates again. Speaking of which...

It must be a boy thing. When we lived in Southern California my son wanted to learn to surf, loved playing soccer, enjoyed baseball, and had absolutely zero interest in football. What happened? In Texas, all of a sudden he wants to play football. We are not a football family. I have a favorite team (Go Steelers) and have enjoyed watching specific players over the years (Swann, Piccolo, Alzado, Long, Christensen, Matuzak, Bradshaw, a host of others and of course, Montana is the ultimate), but I don't live and die by the game. So where does the football desire come from?

It's a boy thing. And my son wants to fit in. Which is why, in spite of my better judgement I gave parental approval for him to begin a 7-on-7 flag football camp and tournament through his school. With trepidation we bought cleats, a practice jersey and extra pair of shorts. The first day of practice went off without a hitch and JM was glowing after practice. Tired, but glowing. He proclaimed that he would be a wide receiver since he caught more balls than he dropped. As long as he wasn't a linebacker I had to breath a little easier, but not much.

The second day of practice I was a little less worried. It was FLAG football so I was fairly sure he wouldn't be stomped on and broken like a twig. Until I picked him up afterwards and he told me that he couldn't catch anything. He held up his right hand and informed me that he jammed his finger on his third catch, didn't tell the coaches and kept playing. And my insides turned cold. It was only a finger, but it looked like more than a jam. He was determined to tough it out and refused medical treatment. Until later.

After returning from urgent care we have a possible fracture. A radiologist will review the films today and we'll know tomorrow if we need to see an orthopedist. So for now there's no football, no diving which starts in two weeks, and no flute practice. And while I do feel really bad for him missing the tournament, I'm secretly a little relieved. And yet I have to contend with the whole badge of honor issue since he's now thrilled that if it is a fracture he's finally received his first broken bone. That must be a boy thing!

No comments: